I think it’s valuable to mindfully mark time as a way to make gradual changes to one’s behavior. In October 2019, I started doing monthly resolutions in an attempt to improve myself and to conduct some life-experiments with only a medium level of commitment. It’s one of the best ideas I’ve ever had.
The basic principle is to choose some habit or activity each month to commit to, one that is (a) big enough that it takes a focused effort to get it done, and (b) small enough that one can expect to make real progress in 15-30 mins each day over the course of a month.
Play along from home, if you want. 🙂 (If you do, I’d love to hear about your experience!)
Here, I keep a running list of my resolutions.
- NMR #0 (Oct 2019, half month): I will meditate 20 minutes per day. (This post includes intro to the idea and motivation.)
- NMR #1 (Nov 2019): I will practice piano for 15-30 minutes per day.
- NMR #2 (Dec 2019): I will (1) do a 16-8 intermittent fast, and (2) walk at least 10,000 steps every day.
- NMR #3 (Jan 2020): I will (1) practice mindful eating, and (2) stay below “heavy drinking” threshold each day.
- NMR #4 (Feb 2020): I will go to the gym (at least) once per week, and go to yoga (at least) once per week. (Failed)
- NMR #5 (Mar 2020): I will go to the gym (at least) once per week, or 5 times overall during the month.
- NMR #6 (Apr 2020): I will experiment with lucid dreaming, by (1) keeping a daily dream journal and (2) performing reality checks many times a day.
- NMR #7 (May 2020): I will (+) do a daily stretching and breathing routine in the morning, and (-) abstain from alcohol.
- NMR #8 (June 2020): I will (+) follow Greenfield’s 8 Rules for Health, and (-) abstain from using social media.
- NMR #9 (July 2020): I will (+) read / finish three books (goal speed = 20 pages/day), and (-) eat a gluten-free diet.
- NMR #10 (Aug 2020): I will keep my physical and digital spaces clean and tidy.
- NMR #11 (Sept 2020): I will train myself and learn to whistle a full song.